Dear BFA Members,


As the deadline draws near for the requirement for the second class medical, the BFA is hearing from many pilots that have applied and have some medical deficiency that required input and final approval by the aeromedical staff in Oklahoma City. These pilots are being told to expect a waiting time of up to 6 months for a decision from the medical team on their case. This is simply not acceptable in the BFA's opinion. You will remember that during the NPRM period for comment on the final medical rule, the general concern was that the 180 days mandated by Congress would be inadequate. We were assured by the FAA that their research indicated that 180 days would be sufficient time for all to get a medical. That is not turning out to be the case, and as we feared, many who made application for their medical several months ago, are now facing the need to cease their commercial activities until they finally hear from the medical examiner about their case. 

The BFA plans to continue its push on the FAA to implement an extension of an additional 180 days to the deadline in May. It is clear to us that the original time allotted was insufficient to cover the number of pilots that would need a special medical flight test, special issuance, or final decision on their specific medical condition. To assist in our effort, the BFA is attempting to gather information from as many pilots as we can regarding their individual circumstances that are causing a delay. Our intent is to provide as comprehensive a list of names and conditions to the FAA to provide them with facts regarding the scope of this issue. Please take a few minutes to send an email to me directly with the following information: Name, date of medical attempt, medical condition waiting for disposition from the FAA, any information that has been given to you about the expected delay, the AME that presented your case, and the name of the AME you are dealing with. Please title your email "Medical delay" and send to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

We are going to do everything we can to convince the FAA that this extension is needed, and the more information we can make available to the FAA about the large number of delays being experienced in the field, will help that cause. You may also send this information to your regional BFA director and he or she will forward it to me.


Cannon Pat

Pat Cannon


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.